A delicious way to use your fresh tomatoes.
We love this side dish so much, that it’s always the first thing we do with our tomatoes and basil leaves in the summer. We have even compromised and used “store-bought” tomatoes, if ours weren’t ripe when the basil is ready, or use dried basil when our fresh leaves weren’t available, but it is never as good as with your own fresh garden ingredients! For variety, try adding some cubes of cheese, such as Asiago, or Mozzarella.
- 3 medium Tomatoes, cut into wedges or slices
- 12 fresh Basil Leaves, roughly chopped
- 2 cloves Garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 2 teaspoons Balsamic Vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon powdered Stevia (or Sugar)
- freshly ground Pepper, to taste
- Salt (optional), dash
- In a non-metallic serving bowl, mix together the garlic, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, stevia, salt (if using), and pepper.
- Add the tomatoes and stir to coat with the oil mixture.
- Sprinkle with the basil leaves.
- Let stand on the counter for about an hour before serving, to allow flavours to combine.