This is SO tasty, especially when served on a freshly toasted baguette or crusty French bread slices.
We don’t often splurge on those extra “carbs”, but the bread really makes this dish! However, if you are watching your carbohydrates, then try this bruschetta on scrambled eggs, or even in an omelette. The recipe is similar to our Fresh Tomatoes with Olive Oil and Balsamic Vinegar, but the ingredients are chopped a little more finely and designed to be a used as a “topping”.
- 5 medium Tomatoes, diced
- 2 cloves Garlic, finely chopped
- 8 fresh Basil leaves, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 teaspoon Balsamic Vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon Stevia powder (or Sugar)
- freshly ground Pepper, to taste
- Salt (optional), dash
- 1 Baguette or loaf of French Bread
- Additional Olive Oil, for brushing on bread slices
- Combine all ingredients in a non-metallic serving bowl.
- Let stand on the counter for about an hour, to allow the flavours to combine.
- Cut the baguette or French bread diagonally, into 1/2 inch slices. For large slices, cut each slice in half.
- Brush the slices lightly with olive oil on both sides.
- Place slices on a baking sheet, and broil for 3-4 minutes per side, until lightly browned.
- Serve bread slices with bruschetta, generously spooning the bruschetta onto each slice.
Nutritional information based upon 6 servings, NOT INCLUDING bread.